Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich – food for the soul (recipe)
Melting cheese... That makes my heart soar! Especially when it comes to “cheese” without any animal ingredients. Today we are making a vegan “grilled cheese sandwich” that will definitely warm your heart.
Grilled cheese toast – is that even a thing in this country? In America, on the other hand, no series or sitcom can do without the hearty snack... And since “Gilmore Girls” at the latest, I have been treating myself to a “grilled cheese sandwich” every now and then – in the plant-based version, of course. It's just too good!
The best thing about it: It's quick, easy to make and can be plastered at virtually any time of day or night!
If you already know a little about plant-based nutrition, you will probably already have most of the ingredients at home. But even if you are still inexperienced in this area, I can say with a clear conscience: You can now get all the ingredients you need in almost every supermarket. Only the yeast flakes may be a little more difficult to obtain. But these are now also available at the REWE I trust... You will see: “imitating” (melting) cheese is not that difficult. And in my opinion it tastes at least as delicious. 😋
This vegan grilled cheese sandwich can't really be said to be healthy. 🤪 But it is also a real “comfort food” (= food for the soul). Not only is it appropriate at any time: for in between, as breakfast or midnight snack, but it is also quick and easy to prepare and super cheesy - and all without any animal ingredients.
- 2 slices of toast bread (e.g. whole grain toast)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (e.g. Alsan)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch / cornstarch
- 140 ml plant-based milk (e.g. oat milk)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 handfuls of vegan processed cheese (e.g. Simply V Grated Pleasure / Violife Grated / …)
- 2 tbsp yeast flakes (optional)
Tools: small pot, pan, whisk
- Melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is hot, stir in the cornstarch with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the milk alternative and wait a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients (salt, turmeric, white wine vinegar, grated “cheese” and possibly yeast flakes). Mix well and wait until everything becomes a homogeneous mass.
- Now spread butter on one side of each of the two slices of toast. Toast a slice of toast in a small skillet, buttery side down, over medium heat. Put about 3 tablespoons of the vegan cheese sauce on the slice of toast. Place the second slice of toast on top (this time the buttery side comes up). When the bottom slice of toast begins to brown slightly, turn the sandwich over and heat the other side for a few more minutes.
- Arrange and you're done!
Preparation time : approx. 15 minutes
The sauce is enough for about 3-4 pieces of toast - but this vegan “cheese ” sauce can also be used for pizza, lasagne, casseroles or with vegetables!
HAVE FUN TRYING! 💛
If you would like to discover more recipes or learn more about healthy eating, sustainability, mindfulness or family and pregnancy, check out even more exciting blog articles on these topics here .